What is Genesis Mentoring?
Genesis Mentoring is a program for individuals and families striving to make difficult life changes to improve their ability to obtain or retain safe and permanent housing. We match a qualified individual or family with a team of volunteers who have been approved and trained as mentors. Supported by a professional social worker, the Mentee(s) and Mentors work together for 18 weeks to complete a curriculum designed to improve goal setting, budgeting, parenting, and other daily living skills Mentees identify as important. Genesis Mentoring combines sharing information and encouragement, within a trust-building personal relationship, to improve the Mentees ability to remain safely housed and to better care for their basic physical needs.
How does Genesis Mentoring Work?
A working poor individual or family is interviewed by a professional social worker and selected to be matched with a sponsoring church, business, or civic group. The Mentee(s) complete a household financial literacy curriculum (with parenting and other daily living skills assistance as needed), with the help of a dedicated and trained team of 1 to 5 Mentors.
Mentee(s) and Mentors meet 12 times during an 18 week period; with 8 sessions focused on skill development and 4 sessions focused on relationship building and fun. Both Mentors and Mentees are supported throughout the process by a professional social worker.
Who are our Genesis Mentees:
- Individuals or Families who are homeless or in dire risk of becoming homeless;
- Have a verifiable source of income that will support their normal living expenses after they receive some short-term housing assistance;
- Have expressed a desire to make some significant life style changes to improve their self-sufficiency;
- Are looking forward to and committed to meeting with their Mentors at least 12 times over 18 weeks; and
- Agree to complete the Genesis Mentoring goal setting, budgeting, and where applicable parenting curriculum.
How do I get involved?
Contact Peter at The Community Outreach if you would like more information. Please call him at (605) 331-3935 or email Peter.
THANK YOU for volunteering to make a difference!!!