We will be meeting at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church on April 26th from 12:00 to 1:30 for our 3rd ‘All Sioux Falls Pastors Meeting’ on the topic of how can the church be more impactful in caring for the poor. A light lunch will be served and we will cover the following items:
- THRIVE – Andy Patterson, President of the Sioux Falls Area Community Foundation, will share about this new ‘cradle to career’ initiative. Many of our civic leaders are supporting this new initiative to improve the health of our Sioux Falls workforce, with affordable housing for the working poor as its first area of focus.
- Steering Committee Update – The recently formed church coalition Steering Committee will provide a progress report on what is taking place and provide some insight into planned next steps. We desire not only to update you, but to seek your feedback.
To help us plan for seating and the meal, please use the following link: RSVP Now or call The Community Outreach at 605-331-3965. Thank you for joining us for this very important update … and the opportunity to gather as Christ’s representatives in our city!
Rev. Rich Merkouris, King of Glory
cc: Steering Committee Members
- In mid-2015 two civic leaders encouraged many to read the book ‘Our Kids’ by Robert Putnam and come together in conversation about how we could significantly improve the lives of young families in our community. Through these conversations, we identified three broad areas to more effectively engage: government, civic leaders, and the Church.
- On November 17, 2015 we held our 1st ‘All Sioux Falls Pastors Meeting’. We wanted to see if there was a desire to come together as the body of Christ to encourage and challenge each other to make a larger impact in our community. At this meeting, Dr. Brian Maher (Superintendent of Sioux Falls Public Schools) shared some opportunities and concerns that are impacting our preschool and elementary aged children.
- On January 21, 2016 we held our 2nd ‘All Sioux Falls Pastors Meeting’. We shared our research into what the church has been doing to improve collaboration and impact in other US cities … and to determine if we had the desire to do something similar in Sioux Falls. We received very favorable feedback … and it was agreed we should establish a Steering Committee to provide leadership to this opportunity.
- During February we seated a 9 member Steering Committee who desire to represent the views and needs of all Sioux Falls congregations who desire to come together in service to make a larger impact in the lives of people who are struggling financially.
“Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” Galatians 6:2